Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Can I get some fries with that shake?

Ok, so this is totally un-food-related (well, unless you count the fact that I was eating a late breakfast when it happened)...but did you feel that earthquake a little bit ago?!

At first, I thought it was my husband shaking the table (we were both seated at the dining room table), and then I realized it was not just the table shaking. I looked up and saw the Jurassic Park water trick in my glass, then noticed the open window was doing the shimmy. It lasted longer than most of the quakes I've felt since moving here in 1988. In fact, there's only been one other that I've been here for that was stronger and longer, and that was back in 1999, the Hector Mine earthquake.

I remember sitting in my office, writing. All was quiet in the house. The only ones home were my youngest, my very pregnant sister in law, and me. It sounded like an entire marathon's worth of people were running across my back patio (we're over a canyon, so it was *loud*). I even remember saying "Who the heck is running around that back there?!?!" ..... and then things started rattling, falling off shelves. I went in to see if my SIL, who'd gone to bed earlier, woke up from it. I took her rapid pacing as a yes.


No comments: