Monday, August 11, 2008

Calgon, Take Me Away!




It's been a crazy couple of weeks, and I've neglected this blog, I know. Not that many people would know, since it's still an internet unknown!

My favorite place to go for breakfast is something of a legend. Most people who come to San Diego expect to make a stop there at least one morning of their trip. Of course, I'm referring to Kono's. There are people lined up already when they first open in the mornings, and for good reason.


The people are wonderful. Everyone is friendly, and the service is fast. Be prepared to find a table quickly after ordering, because your food is started almost before you've finished telling them what you want! I don't think we've ever had to wait more than 15 minutes for our food.

The breakfast burritos are a popular item, but my boys prefer the Big Breakfasts. Both come with Kono's potatoes, bacon, and eggs. One comes with pancakes and Two comes with french toast. They like #2, shown in the photo above. The Kono's potatoes, which you'll see on nearly every plate, are fried with cheese, onions and peppers, the way breakfast potatoes ought to be!
The eggs, you can order as you like, but we like scrambled, and they add cheese to them as they cook, which is even better.

The other breakfast pictured is the Pancakes, Bacon & Eggs, or PB&E as I call it. This is my standard order. I always stand in line fully intending to order something new...and as soon as it's my turn to speak, I order the PB&E. I can't help myself. It's a perfect breakfast. Protein with a bit of carbs added for good balance :)

My youngest is a fan of muffins, and they have some tasty choices to be certain, but our current fave is the streusel topped beauty you see before you. Now, they used to have some killer banana bread, but alas, it is no more. Still, a hot muffin with a bit of butter is a darn fine substitute.

Kono's also has a coffee stand right next door (seen in the photos at the top of this post). They make a good cuppa, and they're right there, so why not? Besides, that ocean breeze can be chilly first thing in the a.m. and you might want a little warmth, you know? My favorite is the Baja Mocha, made with espresso, steamed milk, and Mexican chocolate that contains vanilla and cinnamon. Can't beat that. Being a fan of all things cinnamon, this is no surprise, right?

Oh! I almost forgot the view! Kono's is located right next to the Crystal Pier, and the seating overlooks the ocean. You can relax, listening to the rhythmic slapping of the waves while watching the surfers there for your personal entertainment. Well, ok, they're not there for you, personally, but it sure seems like it!

Ok, that's it for now...it's 3 am and I'm going to bed. Good night :)

No comments: