Sunday, February 1, 2009

Sudden cravings!


I was a bad girl today. It all started with this sudden craving. Remembering a time some 10 or 15 years ago when my husband and I were hard pressed to find something decent to eat on a trip. It was late, and we were not quite in the middle of nowhere, but you could see it from there.
We stumbled upon an Applebee's. Not my favorite place, to be sure, but I was hungry, and didn't see anything else..so we went in. Hmm, something new on the menu. Tequila Lime Chicken. Sounded okay. Chicken breast, marinated in a tequila-lime marinade, topped with a Mexi-ranch dressing and cheese, served atop crispy tortilla strips with a side of Fiesta Rice.
So here I was today, and all the sudden I am craving this chicken. I could have went out and bought all the stuff for the zillion copy-cat recipes online, but it was already 4 pm, and having been sick the last few days, I was just not up for that...so it was into the car for my daughter and I , for a trip to the "Neighborhood". Applebee's, that is :)
I had a hard time finding the Tequila Lime Chicken...mostly because it is not called Tequila Lime Chicken any longer. It is now called Fiesta Lime Chicken. Why, I do not know. In any case, I was assured by our server that it was the very same dish with a new moniker.
Although the portion size has changed (and I am not complaining- two halve breasts was too much, I recall!), the dish is surprisingly unchanged. The chicken was tender, the Mexi-ranch sauce and the cheese were melted and gooey, and except for the corn in the rice, it was actually a pretty satisfying dish, and took care of my craving quite well.
My daughter's dish, that was another story. She ordered the 3 Cheese Chicken Penne, and though she loved the chicken part of the dish, the noodles were overcooked to the point of mush. We let our server, Christine, know and she offered to bring something else after we assured her we didn't want her to remake the dish. We asked to see a menu. While we were waiting, the manager, Joe, came to the table to apologize and asked if he could "buy" her some dessert or maybe a different entree. Guess what she ordered? Yep, Fiesta Lime Chicken!
Between the chicken, and the "Dessert Shots", which are various desserts served in "shot" glasses, it was not a bad meal at all...and the service was good too. Not bad for a Saturday night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We do have days like that, but your food craving seems infectious, Im suddenly craving for chicken :) Great post! I would like to invite you to Foodista.com - the cooking encyclopedia everyone can edit. We have lots of easy recipes you can try, so do check us out. Would also love a link to this post from our site.(This will direct Foodista readers to your blog)Here's a sample link on how you can create inbound links from our site Check it out here. This is a great way for you to build blog traffic and connect with other food lovers! Also feel free to share your recipes and tips with us!Thanks!