Sunday, December 7, 2008

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas....


....And if it keeps up the way it was today where I'm headed, it looks like I will have one! FINALLY! After 20 some odd years in California for Christmases, GREEN Christmases. I know this isn't really food related, but to make it up to you, I will share a recipe that I love at the end of this post. In the meantime....doesn't it look beautiful???

When I was a kid, every Christmas was a white one and I didn't really know that it could be any other way for a long time. It takes some getting used to, these green Christmases. One year, it was 78 degrees! On Christmas! Crazy, I tell you! Some people thrive on it, I know...but I like the Norman Rockwell, Bing Crosby, White Christmas! Ok enough about that. As promised, here is a recipe, one that will surely become a family favorite for many, as it has for us.

Rocky Road Bars
1 (12 ounce) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 (12 ounce) pkg butterscotch chips
1 cup chunky peanut butter
1 bag mini marshmallows (white or, for the holidays, they often have colors)

Line a 9x13" baking pan with aluminum foil, and spread a very thin sheen of butter.
Melt the chips carefully in the microwave or in a bowl set over a pot of simmering water. Stir in the peanut butter until thoroughly combined. Stir in the marshmallows. Immediately pour into the buttered pan, spreading to the edges evenly. Chill to set, 1 hour. Remove from refrigerator at least 20 minutes prior to cutting, or you will be there all day! :) Cut into small squares, this is rich stuff! But it is a tasty alternative to fudge (or accompaniment, depending on your sweet tooth!), and everyone who tries it usually ends up asking for more!

Happy Holidays! More recipes to come!!

No comments: